Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Thirteen Reasons Why / Book Review

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.
On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.
Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.

Start talking about this book is go on a trip of mixed emotions. I wasn't so sure where to start since is a kind of complex book. So let's go to the review once and for all.
What I totally loved about the book was the way it was wrote. The story was centered in a boy who received the most bizarre package with not returning address. The content of the box are seven tapes (not thirteen) numbered with a blue nail polish. But that's not the bizarre part, that came when he listened the first tape with the number one on it, because the voice he hears is from the girl who killed herself a couple of days ago. The girl he was in love with. In each side of the tapes she mentioned a person, thirteen persons, thirteen stories, thirteen reasons why she went to that point. 
The idea of sending those tapes after her death, personally was kind of sick, a way to get back to all those who wrong her. 
Here I have to say that my creepy side was on the edge because i wanted to read more and more what the death girl had to say about her own death, what was so wrong that lead her to that end.
And to be honest -this is the negative side- i though it stupid! I still can't understand how can a person  do something like that, I mean just because she didn't knew how to choose her friends correctly, or because she let others to affect her the way they did. There's no reason strong enough for her to commit suicide and left her parents with such pain.
What's even worst, I keep wondering why her parents didn't notice that she was depressed, or the changes that she was showing, and worst of all, what kind of relationship she had with her parents, because even in my worst moments as a teenager, I always knew I could count on my mom whatever the problem was. I had a similar problem in which a guy started to talk about me, but I confronted him, she didn't, she just accepted all the trash that came her way. 
Life is too precious, and it's a gift, and when someone -even a fiction character- throw it away, I can't help but feel disappointed and sad for them, and blessed for have wonderful parents, true friends, and the care of those who surrounded me, because they notice the simple details, even if I didn't rest enough the day before.
Do I recommend this book?, well, I do because probably it could be helpful for you or a friend who is going through a bad period, maybe it could help to realize how stupid that kind of decision can be, maybe it can help someone to recognize the symptoms in someone they love or in themselves and maybe they could ask for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

follow me on

quote of the month

quote of the month

Share some Love